[Biopython] Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: installation as non-administrator

Paul.Czodrowski at merck.de Paul.Czodrowski at merck.de
Wed May 4 08:47:14 UTC 2011

Dear Peter,

> >> You didn't really need to attach a whole file, you could have
> >> linked to our repository or quoted the bit of interest.
> >
> > I'm sorry for this!
>
> Don't worry too much, its a fairly small file otherwise I wouldn't
> have let it though the moderation queue.

> >> What OS are you using? Some flavour of Linux?
> >
> > OpenSuse 11.3
>
> Should be fine.
>

> >> What version of NumPy do you have, and how was it installed?
> >
> > NumPy version 1.3.0, installed locally by the built-in python routines.
> >

> Any reason for installing such an old version? I'm just curious.

No logical reason... :)

> Does NumPy work properly? At the very least, if you run python
> does "import numpy" work or give an error? What happens if you
> try and do this:
>
> $ python
> '/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/numpy/core/include'
>
> (That's the output on one of our Linux machines)

We have the same output:

>>> numpy.get_include()
'/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/numpy/core/include'

> If that doesn't work, perhaps your PYTHONPATH needs setting.
> How/where did you install NumPy? e.g. python setup.py --prefix=$HOME

The /usr/lib python is installed via the yast OpenSuse.
But it seems to me that this installation did not work properly, since
there are only 2 files in the directory
" /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/numpy/core/include/numpy/":
- ufunc_api.txt
- multiarray_api.txt

However, we have another installation of NumPy which is located here:
"/SW/python/lib/python2.6/site-packages/lib/python2.6/site-packages/numpy"

And yes, there is a mix-up of the directories... :)

> >> What command did you use to attempt the install, and what
> >> error message did you get.
> > python setup.py --build
> > ==> ERROR MESSAGE
> > "
> > running build
> > running build_py
> > running build_ext
> > building 'Bio.Cluster.cluster' extension
> > gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -fomit-frame-pointer
> > -fmessage-length=0 -O2 -Wall -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fstack-protector
> > -funwind-tables -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -g -fPIC
> > -I/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/numpy/core/include
> > -I/usr/include/python2.6 -c Bio/Cluster/clustermodule.c -o
> > build/temp.linux-i686-2.6/Bio/Cluster/clustermodule.o
> > Bio/Cluster/clustermodule.c:2:31: fatal error: numpy/arrayobject.h: No
such
> > file or directory
> > compilation terminated.
> > error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1
> > "
>
> OK, it isn't finding the numpy header files. I'd guess from your
> next email the
> file is /usr/lib/python2.6/site-
> packages/numpy/core/include/numpy/arrayobject.h

You are wrong about this.
The header file is locate here:

"/SW/python/lib/python2.6/site-packages/lib/python2.6/site-packages/numpy/core/include/numpy/"

By appropiately setting the PYTHONPATH, it works properly.

> The hack suggested in the installation document is to edit our setup.py
> file to point to the path explicitly. There is probably a more elegant
way,
> right now my guess is that NumPy is not on the python path (see above).
>
> ---
>
> >From the test results,
>
> > python setup.py test
> > running test
> > Python version: 2.6.5 (r265:79063, Oct 28 2010, 20:56:56)
> > [GCC 4.5.0 20100604 [gcc-4_5-branch revision 160292]]
> > Operating system: posix linux2
> > test_Ace ... ok
> > test_Entrez ... Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> Oh, nasty! That should *not* happen, and is probably a separate
> issue to the NumPy header install issue.

python setup.py install --prefix=$HOME works fine now.

Should the segmentation fault still be considered?

Cheers & thanks,
Paul

otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient,
you must not copy this message or attachment or disclose the contents to
any other person. If you have received this transmission in error, please
notify the sender immediately and delete the message and any attachment
from your system. Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany and any of its
subsidiaries do not accept liability for any omissions or errors in this
message which may arise as a result of E-Mail-transmission or for damages
resulting from any unauthorized changes of the content of this message and
any attachment thereto. Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany and any of its
subsidiaries do not guarantee that this message is free of viruses and does
not accept liability for any damages caused by any virus transmitted
therewith.

Click http://disclaimer.merck.de to access the German, French, Spanish and
Portuguese versions of this disclaimer.