[Biopython] From genome to lineage with Entrez

Fabio Gori gori at cs.ru.nl
Wed Mar 23 17:43:16 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I have downloaded all the bacterial genomes
(ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/genomes/Bacteria/all.fna.tar.gz) and I want to compare
their taxonomic lineages.

I'm looking for a way to get their lineages with Entrez. From the files I can
get the accession numbers and GIs, but I don't know how to get their taxonomic
ids.
I know that I can step from GIs to Taxids processing the file
gi_taxid_nucl.dmp, but I'd prefer to use Entrez.

Thanks in advance,

Fabio

--

F. Gori, PhD student