[Biopython] .ab1 file parser in biopython?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 10 09:00:51 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 10:57 PM, Arvind Subramaniam
<rasi at seas.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Hi
>  I am new to biopython so please excuse me if this issue is obviously
> simple. I am trying to parse .ab1 sequencing trace files in Biopython
> and I cannot find the right module or method to do this job. Can
> someone suggest how I can parse .ab1 files?
> Thanks,
> Arvind.

You mean the ABI trace file format for capillary sequencing?

Personally I use EMBOSS seqret (e.g. to make FASTQ), or tracetuner
if I want to recall the bases (the ABI software doesn't always to the
best possible calling job).

http://emboss.sourceforge.net/apps/release/6.3/emboss/apps/seqret.html
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tracetuner/