[Biopython] [GSoC] Proposal: Mocapy++Biopython

Eric Talevich eric.talevich at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 03:53:51 UTC 2011

Hi Michele,

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 2:11 AM, Michele <michele.silva at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm Michele, a computer scientist and passionate developer who is
> currently enrolled in a biomedicine course. That's why I got in touch with
> the biopython project and have tried its tools for biological computation.

In case you haven't heard back from anyone about your proposal yet -- you
certainly sound qualified for this project and I encourage you to start an
application on the main GSoC site (if you haven't already):
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2011

It's best to get the administrative bits out of the way and at least a stub
of a proposal online early, to ensure you don't get caught by the deadline
next week.

Another good initial step is to sign up on GitHub and fork the Biopython
source tree for yourself:
https://github.com/biopython/biopython
http://biopython.org/wiki/SourceCode

Regarding the experience in biomolecular structure, I'm a beginner. I have
> started studying biomedicine this year and therefore have a lot to learn. I
> know a bit about the PDB format and molecular biology. I'm sure I can count
> on your help to continue learning.

Certainly. :)

So that was my not-so-short presentation. I would love to get to know the
> community better and work together on the GSoC. Please let me know if you
> think I could write a proposal and If you can help me on that.

Thanks for the introduction. We're always happy to help here.

Cheers,
Eric