[Biopython] BLOCKS BLOSUM

Eric Talevich eric.talevich at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 00:47:45 UTC 2011

HI George,

If the PDB ID isn't listed with the blocks, then I don't know of an
immediate way to look up the source structure PDBID, but since the blocks
are highly conserved (by definition) you should be able to get a reliable
hit by BLASTing with any of the sequences in the block against NCBI's PDBAA
database. If you'd like to be more rigorous you can construct an HMM profile
from the BLOCKS alignment and use HMMer to search PDBAA. And, if secondary
structure is all you're worried about, you can also try a secondary
structure prediction program like JPred with any of the source sequences as
the query.

Best,
Eric

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 2:01 PM, George Devaniranjan <devaniranjan at gmail.com