[Biopython] correction and follow up to previous question

João Rodrigues anaryin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 15:01:16 UTC 2011

Hey George,

>From the Python Docs:

random.shuffle(*x*[, *random*])

> Shuffle the sequence *x* in place. The optional argument *random* is a
> 0-argument function returning a random float in [0.0, 1.0); by default, this
> is the function random()<http://docs.python.org/library/random.html#random.random>
> .
>
> Note that for even rather small len(x), the total number of permutations
> of *x* is larger than the period of most random number generators; this
> implies that most permutations of a long sequence can never be generated.

This might be the answer to your last question. A more efficient combination
perhaps would be to use random.choice and then append to a list.. perhaps
this leads to better randomized sequences, but I'm talking out of thin air,
not based on experience..

Cheers

João [...] Rodrigues
http://nmr.chem.uu.nl/~joao