[Biopython] Pulling Alignment From PSI-Blast Output

Brett Bowman bnbowman at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 20:28:45 UTC 2011

> It might be there implicitly in HSPs (high-scoring segment pairs).  Trying
> to make a multiple sequence alignment out of these is a huge pain.

It isn't, I checked - the alignments are only pairwise, so combining them
produces non-sense.  Thats why I have been using Muscle and ClustalW to
create an alignment after the Blast, despite the large computational cost.

> Brett, might you not run all of HHmake (which includes running PSI-BLAST)?
> It extracts the multiple sequence alignment.

HHmake does not include PSI-Blast - all HHmake does is convert a multiple
sequence alignment to an HMM profile.  The original paper that inspired this
project used PSI-Blast and then used HHmake, but make no mention of
alignments.  I have sent the authors an e-mail for clarification, but have
not received a reply.  But from the way the paper was written, it does not
appear that they used an alignment program, hence my confusion at my
inability to do the same.

-Brett