[Biopython] Output SeqRecord as XML?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 3 18:40:45 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 6:15 PM, Uri Laserson <laserson at mit.edu> wrote:
> I am not familiar with those particular XML standards.
> Basically, something that is clean/simple and that doesn't have some of the
> arbitrary limitations of GenBank/EMBL format (like length of qualifiers,
> etc.).  What would you recommend?  (If something is already supported in
> biopython, that would obviously be a big plus.)
> Uri

There is nothing built into Biopython's SeqIO yet beyond
the UniProt XML parser, which you are familiar with - right? ;).
I suspect that either that or the INSDC XML format (INSDSeq,
an XML version of GenBank/EMBL text files) might be good
choices - although they too may have field limitations.

I certainly wouldn't encourage you to invent yet another file format.