[Biopython] help possible? error while installing

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 3 16:40:31 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 4:35 PM, Ruben Mars <r.a.t.mars at med.umcg.nl> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm a biologist trying to get Biopython to work but I am getting the following error while installing and can't find anything about it in the help pages:
>
> mw159059:~ Rubenmars$ python /Users/Rubenmars/Downloads/biopython-1.56/setup.py install
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/Users/Rubenmars/Downloads/biopython-1.56/setup.py", line 323, in <module>
>   for line in open('Bio/__init__.py'):
> IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'Bio/__init__.py'
>
> I would be great if you could help me with this.
>
> I am using terminal from macOSX development tools.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Ruben

Hi Rob,

You should first change to the directory then run setup:

cd /Users/Rubenmars/Downloads/biopython-1.56
python setup.py install

Note you need to send your emails to biopython at lists.open-bio.org (or
biopython at lbiopython.org), not biopython-owner at lists.open-bio.org which
just does to a handful of people who help look after the mailing list.