[Biopython] GO parsers in biopython

Martin Mokrejs mmokrejs at fold.natur.cuni.cz
Mon Dec 26 17:55:09 UTC 2011

Hi,
  I would like to parse some OBO/OWL files in python. I searched
for some existing code and found http://biopython.org/wiki/Gene_Ontology
pointing to some OWL parser from Ed Cannon (follow a link on the page
listed above). Unfortunately, the code is gone? :((

  I also discovered an OBO parser at http://hal.elte.hu/~nepusz/development,
the sources can be fetched from

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ntamas/+junk/go-parser/tarball/7?start_revid=7

  It can open the .obo files for me although I do not see much methods available.

  Finally, I found https://github.com/gotgenes/biopython/tree/a4824ceb71f3a687b3eb5e1fefd0ad3c278bf185/Bio/GO so my question is when will this be available in released biopython
and what are your opinions/suggestions now. Does it offer more than the
go-parser from ~ntamas?

  I want to cluster some sequences based on anatomical terms, so
I think what I want is to be able to lookup easily all parents
(probably except the very root node or so) and compare whether
they overlap with any parent of another sequence.

Thank you for your comments,
Martin
P.S.: I want to parse OBO from http://www.evocontology.org/