[Biopython] Bio.Blast.Applications issue with outfmt="quoted string"

IRVIN, STEVEN (AG-Contractor/1000) steven.irvin at monsanto.com
Tue Aug 2 15:47:41 UTC 2011

Hello,

I am having an issue with the Biopython module making BLAST+ queries.

I am wondering if there is any support in Bio.Blast.Applications  for using the multiple arguments to -outfmt allowed by NCBI BLAST+ programs such as blastn.

I need to use this for example:

    blastn_cline = NcbiblastnCommandline(query='somefastafile.fas', db='tomato_cdna.db', evalue=1000, word_size=7, outfmt='10 qseqid sseqid length pident', out='outfile.txt')

The multiple arguments allowed to blastn -outfmt  allow the choice of specific columns output to the csv or tab separated file such subject_id, etc.

Biopython is returning non-zero exit status 1: USAGE when I run my program with above statement.

Here is a an example coomand line for BLAST+:

prompt_: blastn -query seq_fasta.fas -db local_db.db -out csv_out.csv -dust no -num_alignments 20 -num_descriptions 20 -evalue 1000 -word_size 7 -task blastn -outfmt "10 qseqid sseqid length pident"

I do not yet know if something in Bio.Blast.Applications needs to be modified to support this.

Steve

Steven D Irvin, MS
Bioinformatics Analyst
[cid:image003.png at 01CC1925.F25B8430] CC214-A
Monsanto Research Center
Chesterfield Village, MO
Steven.Irvin at monsanto.com<mailto:Steven.Irvin at monsanto.com>
(636) 737-1756

This e-mail message may contain privileged and/or confidential information, and is intended to be received only by persons entitled
to receive such information. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately. Please delete it and
all attachments from any servers, hard drives or any other media. Other use of this e-mail by you is strictly prohibited.

All e-mails and attachments sent and received are subject to monitoring, reading and archival by Monsanto, including its
subsidiaries. The recipient of this e-mail is solely responsible for checking for the presence of "Viruses" or other "Malware".
Monsanto, along with its subsidiaries, accepts no liability for any damage caused by any such code transmitted by or accompanying
this e-mail or any attachment.

The information contained in this email may be subject to the export control laws and regulations of the United States, potentially
including but not limited to the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and sanctions regulations issued by the U.S. Department of
Treasury, Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC).  As a recipient of this information you are obligated to comply with all