[Biopython] Mocapy++: Google Summer of Code 2011

Eric Talevich etal at uga.edu
Thu Apr 7 16:02:44 UTC 2011

Hi Justinas,

I found your application on Melange. Looks good! Comments:

- Your C++ credentials are solid. Is there any Python code you could make
public, too?

- In the past when other GSoC students have tried wrapping C++ or C
libraries for an interpreted language, there have often been a few
problematic functions that took much more time to wrap properly than the
rest of the interface. Could you give some sense as to how you'd prioritize
parts of the Mocapy++ API for wrapping? Are there any known language
features that Boost-Python tends to struggle with?

- What sort of bioinformatics are you working on right now? I sensed some
experience in medical informatics, maybe something statistics-based. Any
experience with protein or RNA structures?

- If this work were merged into Biopython, would Boost become a compile-time
dependency? We try to minimize the dependencies of the Biopython
distribution, but dynamic loading is acceptable -- i.e. if a user doesn't
need this module, they're be able to install and run Biopython without
having Boost or Molcapy++ installed. Could you make this work?

- Have you been in touch with Thomas Hamelryck yet?

Cheers,
Eric