[Biopython] Intro

Bartek Wilczynski bartek at rezolwenta.eu.org
Tue Sep 14 12:20:44 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Dragoslav Zaric
<zaricdragoslav at gmail.com>wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Thank you so very much for detailed explanations.
>
> I will try to upgrade biopython version under linux.
>
> Hi,

Since you mentioned that you are working on ubuntu, I wanted to add that you
should be careful when upgrading the python/biopython versions on your
machine.

You are most probably now running both python and biopython installed from
ubuntu packages, but if you want to upgrade, you have to choose between
taking newer packages from a newer ubuntu  (currently the newest ubuntu
10.10 beta contains biopython 1.53
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/python-biopython) or compiling from source.
If you choose to install from source, be sure to first uninstall the old
version from the package:
sudo apt-get remove python-biopython

if you want to install from source, you will need some extra packages:
sudo apt-get install python-dev python-reportlab python-numpy

good luck
Bartek