[Biopython] writing a PDB----PLEASEEEE HELP

Eric Talevich eric.talevich at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 17:25:44 UTC 2010

Hi Martin,

It sounds like VMD displays just one model at a time, unless you make a
movie out of it. You could get around that by writing the two structures as
two different chains within the same model.

But if the goal is just to view two structures superimposed, you'd be better
off scripting your molecular viewer of choice to do it for you.

In PyMOL, to view 1ABC and 2XYZ (made up), write this to a file called
1ABC_vs_2XYZ.pml:

# This is a generated PyMOL script
load /path/to/1ABC.pdb, 1ABC
load /path/to/2XYZ.pdb, 2XYZ
align 1ABC, 2XYZ

# Optional viewing tweaks
hide all
show cartoon, 1ABC
show cartoon, 2XYZ
reset

Then launch the viewer from the command line:
pymol 1ABC_vs_2XYZ.pml

If the two structures don't have the same peptide sequence, you'll have
better results with the "fit" function instead of "align":
http://www.pymolwiki.org/index.php/Fit

I know VMD has something similar, but I don't have an example offhand.

Best,
Eric