[Biopython] programmer position available in Seattle

Erick Matsen matsen at fhcrc.org
Mon Oct 25 16:54:12 UTC 2010

Dear Biopython community--

We are a new group at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in
Seattle, looking for an experienced programmer to write python
libraries and scripts. We would like to find someone who can engage
with problems and work independently, but who is also happy to
cooperatively hammer out a spec and discuss implementation details. No
biological experience necessary, but scientific curiosity strictly
required. Long-time linux hacker a big plus.

We develop methods for the evolutionary analysis of next-generation
DNA sequence data for HIV research and the study of the human
microbiome (i.e. bacteria that live on and inside of us). Current
projects you would be working on include developing tools for
reproducible research with SCons (+ cluster integration), putting
together simulations to validate methodology, and code for assembling
annotated packages of biological sequence data. We love good tools--
our favorites include OCaml, python, and git. All finalized code will
be open source, and you will be required to feed as much code as
possible into biopython or other relevant projects.

The work environment will be very interactive, and we want to keep on
finding better ways to do what we do. If you think it would be best to
reimplement our pipeline in NetLogo, we'll listen! On the other hand
we're serious about helping biologists with their data and sometimes
that just means turning the crank.

Working at the "Hutch" is fantastic, with great benefits and a lovely
campus next to Lake Union, walking distance from downtown. Powerful
computing resources and a helpful IT staff await you.

You can find out a bit more at:
http://matsen.fhcrc.org/
http://github.com/matsen/
http://github.com/nhoffman/

Starting salary $75K, with more possible for a perfect fit with heaps
of experience. Point us to some good code you've written! A CV would
be helpful as well.

For people not in the Seattle area: we will consider remote work for a
fixed period with the idea of moving to Seattle after that period is
over. We may also be interested in contract-based work for small
projects, and let us know if you are interested in that.

Please respond directly.

Thank you,

Erick