[Biopython] editing xml blast report

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Nov 10 12:45:53 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Yvan <yvan.strahm at uni.no> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am wondering if it is possible with biopython to correctly edit a xml
> blast report?
>
> Here my problem;
> I need to filter/exclude some hits according to their length but the xml
> consistency should be conserved.

Biopython has a BLAST XML parser, but nothing to help you write
out BLAST XML.

> Should I parse with it with NCBIXML and recreate a xml file with hard
> coded tags?

That might be the best option.

> I try to use the tabular output of blast+ and reformat it with
> blast_formatter but with no success.

I'm pretty sure the blast_formatter tools in BLAST+ will only convert
from ASN.1 to other BLAST output formats. So that won't work,
unless you can edit the ASN.1 file (but that would probably be
harder than editing XML).