[Biopython] Passing wrap parameter to FastaWriter using SeqIO.write

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Wed May 19 22:59:50 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 11:48 PM, Uri Laserson wrote:
> I see that there is a wrap parameter for the FastaWriter object, but no way
> to set it using the SeqIO.write() facility.  What is the best way to
> implement this?  Perhaps we can do a matplotlib-style implementation,
> where we just pass on some keyword arguments, and if it works it works?

Hi Uri,

We could in theory allow Bio.SeqIO.write() etc to accept arbitrary
arguments and pass them on to the format specific code, but I'm
uneasy about this. Documenting it would be hard - I think making
you use the underlying module directly for fine control is clearer.
For now you have to use the Bio.SeqIO.FastaIO module directly if
you want to set any additional options like the line wrapping.