[Biopython] zero-length feature

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Mar 23 12:43:57 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Peter <biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Chris Fields <cjfields at illinois.edu> wrote:
>>
>> All,
>>
>> Just to make sure I'm sanity-checked here, the GenBank/EMBL/DDBJ
>> location specs indicate a location of one nucleotide (inclusive) in length
>> is to be characterized as one number, not a range at all:
>>
>> http://www.ebi.ac.uk/embl/Documentation/FT_definitions/feature_table.html#3.5.3
>>
>> 2..2
>>
>> should just be:
>>
>> 2
>>
>> Or, did I miss something in the discussion?
>>
>> chris
>
> On the face of it, I think you are right Chris. Good point.
>
> Peter

Hi again,

I've updated the trunk to handle single letter features like that.
This means the output of the example script I showed earlier
is now:

ID   Test; ; ; DNA; ; UNC; 16 BP.
XX
AC   Test;
XX
DE   .
XX
OS   .
OC   .
XX
FH   Key             Location/Qualifiers
FT   gap             2
FT                   /estimated_length=1
FT   gap             4..5
FT                   /estimated_length=2
FT   gap             7..9
FT                   /estimated_length=3
FT   gap             11..15
FT                   /estimated_length=5
SQ   Sequence 16 BP; 5 A; 0 C; 0 G; 0 T; 11 other;
     ANANNANNNA NNNNNA                                                        16
//

Note the single gap feature now has a location "2" not "2..2"

Thanks Chris,