[Biopython] zero-length feature

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Mar 22 11:37:58 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Anne Pajon <ap12 at sanger.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> Here is the feature location string I would like to achieve in the EMBL
> output:
>
> FT   gap             422950..422950
> FT                   /estimated_length=1
>

> Regards,
> Anne.

Does your genome have a single N (or n) character at this point?

If so, it does make sense to use 422950..422950 to mean that
single letter - it really is a feature of length one. That should be
possible with the existing (unmodified) Biopython EMBL/GenBank
output. Note that in python notation this would be the region
[422949:422950], where start != end but instead start+1 == end.

If however the gap isn't explicitly in the genome string, I think you
should be using something like 422950^422951 to indicate the
gap is between bases 422950 and 422951. This is a zero length
feature.

Perhaps I have misunderstood your aim?