[Biopython] comparing micro array data

Leighton Pritchard lpritc at scri.ac.uk
Wed Mar 17 08:20:30 UTC 2010

Hi,

On 16/03/2010 Tuesday, March 16, 17:29, "Peter"
<biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 4:56 PM, Sean Davis <sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov> wrote:
>>
>> If you don't mind a couple of questions, for curiosity sake, how big is the
>> genome of model organism?  And what size are the arrays, in terms of
>> probes?
>
> Also, what kind of organism? e.g. Plant, animal, bacteria? This will
> make a difference for the number of papers you'll find doing this kind
> of thing in the literature.

And the type of analysis that's being done, too: human aCGH (lots of
references) tends to concentrate on copy number variation and SNP
identification, while bacterial aCGH (not so many) focuses largely on
presence/absence of putative orthologues.

> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 4:49 PM, Vincent Davis  wrote:
>> I actually was brought into this project by a team from an university. They
>> know lots including that this is a difficult problem. They did not have any
>> references as to how others have solved this problem with whatever success
>> was possible. Since I know python, biopython has been my first choice to ask
>> other smart people :)
>
> For a recent example using microarrays for cross-species comparison
> (aka microarray comparative genomic hybridisation) in bacteria you
> might want to read Leighton's paper (and the references within - which
> include work on humans):
>
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19696881
>
> You can probably guess why he asked if you were doing array CGH ;)

<grin>

And I was just about to blow my own trumpet, too ;)  If you've got any
questions that are specifically about the paper, I'm happy to take them
off-list.

L.

--
Dr Leighton Pritchard MRSC
D131, Plant Pathology Programme, SCRI

SCRI, Invergowrie, Dundee, DD2 5DA.
The Scottish Crop Research Institute is a charitable company limited by guarantee.
Registered in Scotland No: SC 29367.
Recognised by the Inland Revenue as a Scottish Charity No: SC 006662.

DISCLAIMER:

This email is from the Scottish Crop Research Institute, but the views expressed by the sender are not necessarily the views of SCRI and its subsidiaries.  This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential to the intended recipient at the e-mail address to which it has been addressed.  It may not be disclosed or used by any other than that
addressee.
If you are not the intended recipient you are requested to preserve this confidentiality and you must not use, disclose, copy, print or rely on this e-mail in any way. Please notify postmaster at scri.ac.uk quoting the name of the sender and delete the email from your system.

Although SCRI has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, neither the Institute nor the sender accepts any responsibility for any viruses, and it is your responsibility to scan the email and the attachments (if any).