[Biopython] Bio.PDB Module - Atom.set_serial_number function - usage?

João Rodrigues anaryin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 22:21:27 UTC 2010

Hello all,

Maybe I'm getting this wrong to begin with but bear with me. I'm trying to
renumber the atoms in a PDB file (atoms, not residues). I found a method
called get_serial_number that gives me back the atom number, and another
called set_serial_number that allows me to change this value. It works
wonders for the Structure object, but when I save it with the PDBIO module
to a PDB file, it resets the numbering.

I checked the code of PDBIO and apparently, it has hard-coded a resetting of
the atom number. My question is, what is this set_serial_number for then? Is
there a way for me to override this easily?

Regards,

João [...] Rodrigues
@ http://stanford.edu/~joaor/