[Biopython] Problem building from PyPi: Affy package directory is missing

Walter Scheper ratlaw at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 16:59:27 UTC 2010

Hey all,

I generally install biopython either using easy_install or pip (if I need to enforce a particular version). Today was rebuilding the dependencies for a project I'm working on and when I went to build biopython I got the following error:

error: package directory 'Bio/Affy' does not exist

Looking in the Bio/ directory, sure enough there is no Affy/ directory. If I download the tarball available from www.biopython.org, then the Bio/Affy package directory does exist.

Is there some issue with distributing the Affy submodule, or is the PyPi tarball incorreclty built? I'm fairly curious why I haven't seen any mention of this issue on the list, so perhaps there is something fishy with my process.

Thanks,
Walter Scheper