[Biopython] Helpa Newbie Please.py

Willis, Jordan R jordan.r.willis at Vanderbilt.Edu
Sun Jun 6 23:36:28 UTC 2010

Hi Gary,

Python will always look for the file in whichever directory you started python in. I would go to the command line and start python in the same directory in which you have ls_orchid.gbk.

On another note, I'm not sure when this changed but SeqIO.parse will only accept a file object contrary to the example. So try this.

from Bio import SeqIO
for seq_record in SeqIO.parse(open("ls_orchid.gbk"), "genbank"):
    print seq_record.id
    print repr(seq_record.seq)
   print len(seq_record)

Jordan