[Biopython] problem with SeqIO.index() and get_raw

Achim Treumann Achim.Treumann at NEPAF.com
Sun Aug 1 01:53:17 UTC 2010

Hi Peter, Jordan andd others,

many thanks for the fast replies.

You are obviously right - installing 1.54 got me rolling.

I now noticed that the tutorial I was working with was indeed 1.54 (should have checked that when I downloaded it separately from the distribution). When I was going through the tutorial I did not realise that the version I was working with was not 1.54... Don't think that it would be essential to put this into the FAQ - neither google nor searching this discussion list brought up other people who were struggling with this, I must have been the only one too thick to check version numbers :-)

Thanks a lot again for your rapid help,
Achim

-----Original Message-----
From: p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com on behalf of Peter
Sent: Sat 31/07/2010 18:16
To: Achim Treumann
Cc: biopython at lists.open-bio.org
Subject: Re: [Biopython] problem with SeqIO.index() and get_raw

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 7:05 AM, Achim Treumann
<Achim.Treumann at nepaf.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am new to biopython and trying to familiarise myself with its utilities.
> When I was trying to parse a swissprot.dat file to then copy the full
> data back using the get_raw attribute, I got stuck (Biopython 1.53,
> Python 2.6 on WinXP).

> As I am typing, I realise that get_raw might only have been
> implemented in Biopython 1.54... I will post this anyway, and if
> upgrading sorts it, I will send a reply.

Hi Achim,

Well guessed. Yes, get_raw was added in Biopython 1.54, see
http://news.open-bio.org/news/2010/05/biopython-release-154/

Are you reading the current tutorial on line (rather than the
version shipped with Biopython 1.53)? It does mention this,
although maybe it could be in the FAQ as well... would that
help?