[Biopython] SeqIO.index for csfasta files memory issues

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Jan 21 11:58:12 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Peter <biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> It turns out that my copy of Python (the default Apple provided one
> on Leopard) seems to be just 32bit,
>
> $ python
> Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Feb 22 2008, 07:57:53)
> [GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5363)] on darwin
> ('32bit', '')

Another check,

$ file /usr/bin/python
/usr/bin/python: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
/usr/bin/python (for architecture ppc7400):	Mach-O executable ppc
/usr/bin/python (for architecture i386):	Mach-O executable i386

$ which python
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/python
$ file /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/python
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/python:
Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/python (for
architecture i386):	Mach-O executable i386
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/python (for
architecture ppc):	Mach-O executable ppc

> So *if* your system was running 32bit python, I would expect it to
> fail like this. I'd like to try a 64bit python locally - either I could
> install this manually, ...

>From reading up, it seems that while python.org does have dmg
installers for Mac OS X, currently they only support i386 and ppc
(not 64bit). While in theory I could download an install Python from
source, it sounds a little fiddly, and a don't want to mess up my
machine.

> ... or look for a big memory Linux box to try.

This may be easier for me!