[Biopython] Could Bio.SeqIO write EMBL file?

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Jan 7 16:08:59 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Anne Pajon <ap12 at sanger.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> Thanks again for this fast answer.
>
> You've been fixing code for me recently on fasta-m10 al_start and al_end, so
> I am now working with the development version of biopython from git. I have
> no problem of updating it and testing it here.

Great. I've just committed very basic EMBL output support to our main
branch on git. This is a stepping stone, deliberately a partial solution only
for now, to make sure the basics seem to work (dealing with the sequence
and identifiers, but nothing about the detailed annotation). In particular,
I have deliberately not implemented feature support (yet - the existing
code for writing a GenBank feature table will need to be tweaked to
cover EMBL feature tables as well).

I realise that in the current state this isn't going to be especially useful
for you, but if you can have a look anyway and let me know if there is
anything amiss that would be helpful. e.g. Make sure your favourite
tools like the EMBL files Biopython produces. What do you use?
Artemis?

> I am working with about 30 bacteria genomes from the human gut and waiting
> 100 more genomes to work with this year. I can send you one of the file if
> you wish. Just let me know.

You could send me one off list if you like - but its probably unnecessary
for now.

Regards,