[Biopython] Access Entrez gene DB using rettype 'gb'

David Jacobs developer at allthingsprogress.com
Fri Dec 10 04:36:29 UTC 2010

> That sounds great. Biopython is completely open source and we
> welcome contributions of general purpose, tested code. Support for
> different tasks exists because generous folks had a need for that
> functionality and coded it in a reusable way.

Excellent, I'm generalizing my protocol and extracting functionality that I think could fit comfortably into a library. I'm also going to look at the cookbook option. I know that your example script was invaluable for me going forward with my current code, so I would be happy to add to the cookbook.

Thanks again, everyone, for your help.

> Entrez gene XML support would be a fairly big task, since there is
> quite a bit in there that might be of interest to different users,
> but definitely welcome.

Hmm... I have a couple of ideas in mind. I'm going to see if I can't come up with a reasonable OO solution here. (I'm more into FP, but OO seems appropriate here.)

David