[Biopython] translating 454 data with frameshifts

McCulloch, Alan alan.mcculloch at agresearch.co.nz
Sun Dec 12 16:57:15 EST 2010

Hi Jessica

* There are some packages out there which combine blast and "de-novo" HMM (e.g. ESTScan) evidence to
  do translations of transcript contigs - prot4EST is a python based one (blast + ESTScan)

  I think there have been others published.

* I have also combined blastx and ESTScan evidence, as follows :

   1. blastx contigs against NR protein, recording top (say) 10 hits (*not* using -w option - see below)

   2. For those sequences where all HSPs in the same frame, conclude that there are no
       frameshift errors, and translate by picking the longest ORF in the same
       frame as and overlapping the hsps, and translate.

   3. For those seqs with hsps in > 1 frame, conclude that there are frameshift errors and
       use ESTScan, which includes these in its model

   4. Confirm translations via annotation using blastp against NR

   (I have some python code for bits of this happy to share if useful)

   ( no use for unknowns obviously - only option for these is something like ESTScan)

* Have you tried using the -w option of blastx ? (Frame shift penalty (OOF algorithm for blastx)) -
  blastx may be able to figure out the frameshift errors for you and generate a single
  merged alignment, using this option. We have had fairly good luck with -w 20. In order to
  reduce the chances of alignments with spurious frameshifts, you could try using
  blastx -w in step 3 above, as an alternative to ESTScan - i.e. where you then
  already know there are frameshifts, or you could use to check ESTScan predictions

Cheers

AMcC