[Biopython] Problem with Bio.Entrez...

Nathan Edwards nje5 at georgetown.edu
Fri Aug 27 16:10:49 UTC 2010

> I'd suggest issuing a warning for the bad element, rather than silently
> ignoring it.

Except that I find the warning infrastructure pretty hard to use when I
need to turn something off.

Other alternatives providing a switch to choose between throwing an
exception (probably the default) or silently coping.

>> And, given the frequency with which NCBI seems to break these things,
>> I _do_ prefer the "ignore it" strategy, if it works. :-)
>
> Nathan - have you notified the NCBI about this? I assume you would get
> an error putting the XML through a validator - if you haven't already done
> so that would be worthwhile. Or would you rather one of us contact them?

Yes, NCBI has been notified and I just received a response that the
developers have been notified.

> I will bring this to our developers' attention. However, I will not
> be able to provide your with any ETA of the correction/fix or other
> comparable actions at this time.

Visual inspection is sufficient to verify the element is not mentioned
in the DTD, though I could fire up a validating parser I guess. Just did
and it confirms the error.

- n

Dr. Nathan Edwards                      nje5 at georgetown.edu
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular & Cellular Biology
            Georgetown University Medical Center
Room 1215, Harris Building          Room 347, Basic Science
3300 Whitehaven St, NW              3900 Reservoir Road, NW
Washington DC 20007                     Washington DC 20007
Phone: 202-687-7042                     Phone: 202-687-1618
Fax: 202-687-0057                         Fax: 202-687-7186