[Biopython] Fwd: Qblast : no hits

Karthik Raja cloudycrimson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 08:38:59 UTC 2010

Hello Peter,

I tried out what you suggested and it works perfectly. I checked the result
XML file and there was no problem at all.
But I still have one more small issue that I am sure you can help me with.
The main reason i wanted to use python was that I could put all the query
sequences in a file and blast it. So when I tried the above code to blast a
sequence that I have put in a fasta file, it gives an error. Same kinda
error. Below are the code and traceback.

>>> fasta_string = open("test.fasta").read()
>>> result_handle = NCBIWWW.qblast("blastp", "nr",
fasta_string,entrez_query='(none)', expect=200000, hitlist_size=50,
word_size=2, alignments=500, descriptions=500,format_type='XML')

*Traceback (most recent call last):
*  File "<pyshell#28>", line 2, in <module>
    word_size=2, alignments=500, descriptions=500,format_type='XML')
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\Bio\Blast\NCBIWWW.py", line 117, in
qblast
    rid, rtoe = _parse_qblast_ref_page(handle)
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\Bio\Blast\NCBIWWW.py", line 203, in
_parse_qblast_ref_page
    raise ValueError("No RID and no RTOE found in the 'please wait' page."
ValueError: No RID and no RTOE found in the 'please wait' page. (there was
probably a problem with your request)

Please let me know if you could sense in the problem with the code.

Sincerely,
Karthik