[Biopython] Bio.Application now subprocess?

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Apr 10 10:28:19 UTC 2010

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 6:43 AM, Vincent Davis <vincent at vincentdavis.net> wrote:
> I was considering writing a module for using the command line Affymetrix
> Power Tools Software
> LINK<http://www.affymetrix.com/partners_programs/programs/developer/tools/powertools.affx>
> Mostly
> to convert between CEL file types but there are lots of other features
> <http://www.affymetrix.com/partners_programs/programs/developer/tools/powertools.affx>If
> I read correctly will be replaced using subprocess. Are there any modules
> currently using subprcess rather than Bio.Application?
> Anything I should know but don't (as if you know what I know) or consider

Hi Vincent,

The idea is to use a Bio.Application based wrapper to build a command
line string, and invoke that with the subprocess module (i.e. use BOTH).
The tutorial has several examples of this (e.g. alignment tools and BLAST).

What have you been reading that makes you think Bio.Application is
being replaced with subprocess? We should probably clarify it.