[Biopython] pro

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 5 16:16:43 UTC 2010

2010/4/5 Eric Talevich <eric.talevich at gmail.com>

> It looks like spark relies on the docstrings in Bio.GenBank.LocationParser.
> Is there anything in py2exe that would strip the docstrings from compiled
> modules? Some optimizations do this -- I think "python -O3" strips
> docstrings, for instance.

You may be on to something there Eric.

Björn, could compare your file:
z:/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages\Bio\Parsers\spark.py
with the version we provide:
http://github.com/biopython/biopython/blob/master/Bio/Parsers/spark.py
or:
http://biopython.org/SRC/biopython/Bio/Parsers/spark.py

In the medium term, I'd like to move the GenBank/EMBL location
parsing to something simpler and faster (using regular expressions)
and then deprecate Bio.GenBank.LocationParser and indeed the
whole of Bio.parsers (which just has a copy of spark). There is
a bug open on this with some code. But that isn't going to help
Björn right now.