[Biopython] Fwd: Windows installer does not find Python 2.63 with multiple pythons

Peter peter at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Oct 23 15:47:55 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 4:27 PM, Mike Lisanke <mikelisanke at gmail.com> wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Yes. I got a clue when I saw Numpy (which worked (has a AMD64 build)). and
> failed when switched to and earlier python level (2.6 -> 2.5). Numpy only
> has a Win32 installer, and it reported the same failure with the
> python-2.5-amd64 registry values.

That makes sense.

> If I can, I will prepare (the libraries?) for a Biopython-2.x-AMD64 package.
> I haven't installed a C/C++ build environment on my windows machine (yet),
> but; I'm adept at Linux and Windows C/C++ development. And, I'd like to have
> a 64bit Biopython <smile>. From your email, I now assume Biopython is not
> strictly python code (which should run on whatever python is installed).

That is correct - Biopython includes some C code (like NumPy).

> I'll dig into the source + documentation, but you probably can give me the
> short answer. Does this build from a GCC on windows (e.g. Cygwin or
> GnuWin32), or a Microsoft build environment (e.g. Visual C++)? And, I assume
> it is not cross-platform prepared from Linux (e.g. fake-root)? Thanks.

We compile the Biopython Windows 32 bit Installers on a 32 bit Windows
XP machine. The compiler depends on which version of Python you want
to use. See the "Installing from source on Windows" section of this document:
http://biopython.org/DIST/docs/install/Installation.html
http://biopython.org/DIST/docs/install/Installation.pdf

You may be the first person to try this on 64 bit Windows. At least,
no-one has responded to my email to the dev list yesterday:
http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/biopython-dev/2009-October/006901.html