[Biopython] Querying NCBI

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Oct 23 09:08:06 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 1:56 AM, Michael S. Koeris
<michael.koeris at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know if it's the servers today but when I ran this query as a
> regular efetch with 80+ gi numbers it ran for 30+min before i stopped it
>
> handle = Entrez.efetch(db='nucleotide',id=AccNo,rettype='gb')
>
> anyone else experiencing problems?

I was asleep, so no ;)

Are you sending one single efetch call with 80+ GI numbers, or
are your sending 80+ individual efetch calls, or something in
between? That may make a difference.

> I also noted that my outbound packet rate dropped to about 4kbp

That suggests a local network issue.

Did you include your email address as the NCBI request?
If they have blocked or throttled your access (if they felt it
was excessive), I would expect them to email you about it.