[Biopython] Biopython & p3d

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Oct 21 10:28:56 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 11:15 AM, Michiel de Hoon <mjldehoon at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I think that we should avoid the situation that there are two PDB modules
> in Biopython.

Agreed.

> Can we somehow merge Bio.PDB and p3d? Take the best features of p3d
> and add them to Bio.PDB, or vice versa.

That's what I was thinking. Note that Christian and Michael will have to
re-license any such contributions (p3d uses the GNU GPL V2 which is
not compatible).

> If that is not possible, I think we should make a choice between Bio.PDB
> and p3d.

As Christian pointed out, the two have some non-overlapping functionality,
so replacing Bio.PDB with pd3 isn't really an option (even if it was
re-licensed).