[Biopython] How to get intron/exon boundaries?

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Mon Nov 30 13:59:35 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 10:30 PM, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 6:55 PM, Sean Davis <sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov> wrote:

>>> I want the co-ordinates.
>>
>> You are talking about coordinates in genomic space or on the
>> transcript?  What organism?  And what annotation system do you want to
>> use--Ensembl, UCSC, or NCBI?
>
> The coordinates in genomic space. Mouse. UCSC.

http://genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgTables?org=Mouse

Choose the track that you like.  UCSC Known Genes is the typical default.

There are numerous output format options.  Again, choose whatever you
think is convenient.  The outputs are almost all tab-delimited text,
so you should be able to use them easily in the scripting language of
your choice.  If you prefer gff, then consider GTF format.

If you have questions for the UCSC folks, they have their own mailing
list accessible from the top of the page on their website.

Sean