[Biopython] Additions to the SeqRecord

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Nov 17 14:53:44 UTC 2009

Brad Chapman wrote:

> I like that. You're right that those full length features are really
> annotations in disguise.

Good :)

> Instead of removing the source SeqFeature,
> I would suggest making it available in both places. This way you
> mimic what GenBank is doing, but also make it available in a more
> accessible and natural place. So for something like:
>
>     source          1..4411532
>                     /organism="Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv"
>                     /mol_type="genomic DNA"
>                     /strain="H37Rv"
>                     /db_xref="taxon:83332"
>
> you would have the source SeqFeature, but also the organism,
> mol_type and strain in the annotations dictionary, and the cross
> reference in dbxrefs. Nice idea.

Good point about the dbxrefs - that makes sense :)

Interesting idea about having the parser record the source feature
in both the SeqFeature (as it does now) and the SeqRecord
annotations dict (as I suggested). That would certainly make sense
in the short term for a transition period, but in the long term we
should deprecate using a source SeqFeature. After all, for accessing
this information "There should be one-- and preferably only one --
obvious way to do it" (Zen of Python). This also applies to the code
for writing out GenBank files - if the information is in two places,
which takes priority?