[Biopython] Using SeqLocation to extract subsequence

Kyle Ellrott kellrott at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 20:06:37 UTC 2009

This should be a relatively simple question, but I didn't find any google
hits...
I'm parsing a genbank file of a chromosome, and I want to take the
FeatureLocation data from a SeqFeature and extract the referenced DNA.
Basically take a 'CDS' feature and get the gene DNA that coded it.  Is there
a function that I can pass the location data from a feature record and it
will extract the DNA, including doing segment joining and reverse
translation?

I could write this myself, but it seems like a better idea to use something
that has been well tested.

Kyle