[BioPython] Emboss eprimer3

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Mar 24 10:00:46 UTC 2009

2009/3/24 Stefanie Lück <lueck at ipk-gatersleben.de>:
> Hi!
>
> I have some questions about eprimer3 from Emboss which I use over Python to design primers in a batch mode:
>
> 1) I'm using the GCclamp function (value=1). Is it possible to limit the G or C's at the end to maximum of one G or C?

OK, you're using the gcclamp argument (i.e. GC clamp), which is
supported by the Bio.Emboss.Applications wrapper.
http://emboss.sourceforge.net/apps/release/6.0/emboss/apps/eprimer3.html

I don't know if there is a primer3 argument for limiting the G or C's
at the end - have you asked on the EMBOSS mailing list?

> 2) Is there a setting to get the original primer3 output? The emboss output is for hundrets of primers not very usefull and many informations are missing.

>From reading the documentation there is a "fformat1" argument which
*might* do what you want - you could try this out on the command line
and see.  Note that this argument is not currently supported in the
Bio.Emboss.Applications wrapper, but that would be easy to add.  If
this argument doesn't do what you want, you'd have to ask the EMBOSS
people about alternative output formats. Alternatively, you might
investigate the original Whitehead version of primer3.

Note that if you do succeed in changing the output format, you may
need a new parser to read it.