[BioPython] can biopython query KEGG directly?

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Mar 10 18:08:01 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 5:06 PM, Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio
<dalloliogm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> is it possible to query the KEGG database with biopython?

I don't think there is any wrapper for the KEGG online API (yet).  See:
http://www.genome.jp/kegg/soap/doc/keggapi_manual.html

This does sound like a worthwhile addition (especially if the SOAP
stuff can be done using only core python libraries included in Python
2.4+)

> .. and transform it to a SeqRecord object.

We still need a Bio.KEGG gene parser, see also:
http://bioperl.org/wiki/KEGG_sequence_format
http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/biopython/2008-January/004000.html
Once that is done, a KEGG wrapper in Bio.SeqIO would make sense.