[BioPython] The count method of a Seq (or MutableSeq) object

Brad Chapman chapmanb at 50mail.com
Fri Mar 6 13:14:04 UTC 2009

Hey all;
Great discussion on this. My preference is for a new function,
and I like Leighton's naming suggestion.

Also, unless someone has a use case for the current count()
function, we should deprecate and eventually remove it. Overriding
the string API where it makes sense is good, but here it seems to be
creating confusion and not solving a problem. If someone needs the
real string count, they can always do str(your_seq).count("GG").

Brad