[BioPython] The count method of a Seq (or MutableSeq) object

Bruce Southey bsouthey at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 16:28:11 UTC 2009

Hi,
This is a little deja vu as I feel this type of thing has come up
before. While I can not speak for anyone else, if I sound different to
that, then I was obviously convinced by those arguments as  that
sounds better than I forgot :-)

More seriously, ignoring the reading fame or the genetic code when
counting is rather bad form!

I can not think of a relevant case involving a protein sequence -
although counting pairs of cysteines in insulin-like sequences could
be a situation of importance (related to disulphide bonds).

An example for nucleic sequences, counting 'TTT' in the madeup
sequence  'TTTTTTTGG' can be two in frames 1 and 2 but only one in
frame 3.

Also, a weaker concern is that the sum of counts is greater than or
equal to the length of the sequence is not desirable property unless
the user is informed that duplicates were found.
In the above case, seven sounds rather wrong when one says that a DNA
sequence of nine DNA bases can produce seven Leucines!

Yes, context is everything because 3 different results is not nice.

Don't get me wrong, I know that finding duplicates is important just
that it should not be here - there must different functions.

Thus, I vote for (a) and I also prefer that default syntax is
consistent with Python language.

If this change is done, then all of Biopython must be revised to be
consistent - like reading frames and similar discussion...

Bruce