[BioPython] The count method of a Seq (or MutableSeq) object

Noel O'Boyle baoilleach at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 13:11:31 UTC 2009

+1 for (b)

Seq.count() should behave like a biological sequence.

Here's an example in the wild of this type of analysis:
http://www.computational-genomics.net/case_studies/haemophilus_demo.html#14

It's from a bioinformatics textbook with example code in Matlab. I was
helping a colleague who was trying to reproduce the analysis with
BioPython. Everything was fine until the dimer frequencies were found
to disagree. After implementing the count ourselves, we were able to
reproduce the results. It was then we realised that BioPython was
behaving in an unexpected and non-useful way.

- Noel