[Biopython] BioPython wrapper for UNAFOLD and NUPACK

Michiel de Hoon mjldehoon at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 18 01:19:25 UTC 2009

I'm a bit biased here, since I use UNAFold a lot for my own research.

One thing to keep in mind is that UNAFold relies a lot on Perl scripts that glue the actual executables together. A Biopython interface can either run the Perl scripts (which would introduce a Perl dependency), or replicate the Perl scripts in Python (which is more difficult to maintain, but may give us a more Pythonic way to run UNAFold). You could also consider to contact the UNAFold developers directly; they may be interested in a Python wrapper in addition to the Perl wrapper to their software (so, the Python wrapper would be part of UNAFold rather than of Biopython).

--Michiel.