[Biopython] searching for a human chromosome position

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Jun 2 15:48:02 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 3:56 PM, dr goettel <biopythonlist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This information is captured in Biopython using child SeqFeature objects
>> for each exon within the parent feature for the CDS.
>
> It has been really easy to extract the information looking the
> documentation (15.1.2)

The SeqFeature documentation is something I would like to
see improved, but I'm glad you've found what you need.

>> As here everything is on the forward strand
>
> where do you get this information?

SeqFeature objects have a strand property, which would be
+1 or -1. If the feature location in the GenBank file is like this,
complement(123..456), then the feature is on the complement
or reverse strand (i.e. strand -1), otherwise it is take as on
the forward strand (i.e. strand +1). The GenBank format
doesn't really allow for "both strands" so things like variations
or repeat regions are also on the forward strand.