[Biopython] Distributed Annotation System ( DAS ) and BioPython

Rouilly, Vincent vincent.rouilly03 at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Jul 2 13:40:46 UTC 2009

Hi,

I have question about Distributed Annotation System (DAS).
What is the current best practice to load a SeqRecord from a DAS description ?

-------
I found that this topic has been discussed in the past here (see below), but I couldn't find the up-to-date method to deal with DAS in BioPython.

[2003] : Draft PyDAS parser from Andrew Dalke:  http://portal.open-bio.org/pipermail/biopython/2003-October/001670.html
Andrew hints at a DAS2 project that might produce a better python tool.

[2006]: Ann Loraine uses a SAX perser to deal with DAS: http://www.bioinformatics.org/pipermail/bbb/2006-December/003694.html

[2007]: PPT Presentation from Sanger Feb 2007: "DAS/2: Next generation Distributed Annotation System".
Some python code used in the DAS/2 Validation Suite is mentioned.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dasypus/
Project where Andrew Dalke is involved, but it seems inactive since 2006.
-------

Sorry if I have missed the post where this issue was last discussed,
best wishes,

Vincent.