[Biopython] [Bioperl-l] Next-gen modules

Giles Weaver giles.weaver at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 3 11:35:00 EDT 2009

Regarding the trimming algorithm, I've been using a window size of 5, a
minimum score of 20 and a minimum length of 15 with the Illumina data. In
the past I have used a similar algorithm with a larger window size and much
longer minimum length with sequence from ABI 3XXX machines. I imagine that
the ideal parameters for ABI SOLiD and Roche 454 would likely be similar to
those for Illumina and Sanger sequencing respectively.
Window size doesn't appear to affect performance much, if at all.

For sequences with multiple good regions, I do extract all good regions.
Even with the Illumina data there are sometimes two good regions, but
usually the second is adapter or junk and gets filtered out later. I haven't
seen quality data from a 454 machine recently, and would be interested to
know if multiple good regions are commonplace in 454 data. Can anyone with
access to 454 data comment on this?

Giles