[BioPython] Downloading CDS sequences

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Jan 20 09:44:02 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 8:31 AM, Animesh Agrawal
<animesh.agrawal at anu.edu.au> wrote:

> Peter,
> Thanks a lot. ...
> I tested your new script for Downloading CDS sequences. It was working fine
> for  records like P24673 but couldn't get it working  for precise "coded_by"
> string situation unless I comment(#return SeqRecord(Seq(""))) statement in
> get_nuc_record() function. I don't understand why?

That was a deliberate mistake to test your understanding (joke).  I'm
pleased you worked out what was wrong!

I put that line in to speed up my testing - and forgot to remove it.
Basically that line was to just return a dummy SeqRecord with an empty
sequence for the "coded_by" cases, rather than going online wasting
the NCBI server time.  With hindsight I could have edited my example
GenBank file to focus on the cases of interest.  Does that make sense?

Sorry for the confusion,