[BioPython] Deprecating Bio.Transcribe and Bio.Translate?

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Jan 3 13:42:10 UTC 2009

Dear all,

For some time now, the Bio.Seq module has provided transcription and
basic translation functionality.  With Biopython 1.49, this was
extended further with the addition of Seq object transcription and
translation methods (for use on nucleotide sequences only), and also
support for translation up to the first stop codon.  Using Bio.Seq is
now the recommended and preferred way to do transcription or
translation with Biopython.

The Bio.Transcribe and Bio.Translate modules were declared obsolete
with the release of Biopython 1.49, and I am wondering if anyone
objects to our officially deprecating them in Biopython 1.50 (i.e.
just adding a warning message when the module is imported).
Alternatively, we could do this in the release after that.

Thanks,