[BioPython] Biopython installation syntax error

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Feb 19 10:09:50 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 2:21 AM, Bruce Southey <bsouthey at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> It appears that you are using Python2.3 which is not support by numpy
> version1.2. See the release notes at:
> http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?group_id=1369&release_id=628858
>
> So either use an earlier version or, even better, upgrade to Python
> 2.5. I do not recommend Python 2.6 because I do not know how well
> numpy 1.2 is supported on the Mac.
>
> Regards
> Bruce

I agree with Bruce that trying to use NumPy 1.2 (or later) on Python
2.3 is a bad plan.  Their installer really ought to abort rather than
letting you do this!

You could upgrade your python to 2.4 or 2.5 (or possible 2.6) but on
the Mac this is complicated.  You shouldn't replace the Apple provided
python as many of the Apple tools use it.

Personally I would stick with the Apple provided python and install
NumPy 1.1.1.  However, it sounds like you already have installed the
incompatible NumPy 1.2 on the machine which you'll need to remove.  To
remove NumPy I think you should be OK to remove the folder
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-packages/numpy
(or to be safe, just move it somewhere else like you desktop, in case
you need to put it back).